Pages

December 23, 2010

Noche Buena, a glimpse into the Hispanic culture


This is not my image.
For those who are not aware, I am half American and half Cuban. I have decided to write about Buena Noche, the Cuban part of my Christmas.

Noche Buena is spanish for Christmas Eve. On Christmas Eve all of the Cuban side of my family goes to my abuela's "grandma" house around dinner time. We eat a feast, and all of the girls have to grab for spoons to serve themselves the moment prayer is finished since the boys are beats from the jungle.
Then we wait.
And wait.
And play games.
And watch movies.
And sing karaoke.
And almost fall asleep.
And watch tv.
And drink soda.
Until it is finally 12 AM!

Everyone shouts Merry Christmas. The little kids run to the gifts under the Christmas tree and everyone walks quickly, but slowly, at the same time so they don't look too eager. Gifts are opened, people are thanked, and then everything is enjoy for about half an hour to an hour.
After that we go home, and by that time it's already 2 AM. Everyone crashes and we wake up again for my American Christmas :).

Send me a link if you post about they way you celebrate Christmas :).

MaidenOfEmmanuel

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I love this! You inspired me to wrote my own post about Christmas traditions :)

http://forgetfulperfection.blogspot.com/2010/12/family-centered-christmas.html

Zoe said...

That is so awesome! I've never heard of doing Christmas that way, but it sounds like a lot of fun!

We are pretty inconsistent in the way we do Christmas, as it changes every year... So there isn't much to tell.

Merry Christmas!